Home » » Whither K-Mart?

Whither K-Mart?

That's what the experts are saying in this story. Sears is still in the tank.

Lampert's a very smart guy by any definition. So let's see here. Which brand has a better name recognition right now? (Don't be so sure about that one.) Has Walmart cornered the doscount market so much that K-Mart is a dying brand? (Maybe.) How much duplication do you have between brands in towns? (Plenty albeit not universal. In my town Sears and Super K-Mart are about a mile and a half apart, but I'd be more likely to go to K-Mart.)

I could see the K-Mart brand being dumped and converted to Sears stores. But in towns like mine I also can see Sears dumping the moribund mall locations and moving the marque to the K-Mart. Either way, you shed duplicity and you shed dirt, hopefully at a decent price. Let's see what Lampert does.

And, by the way, if I don't post again today, have a great holiday weekend.