Home » » Dealing with the media

Dealing with the media

Larry Bodine is absolutely right: blogging can bring media attention. According to the Meyers-Briggs type people, I have a personality that is almost completely opposite of that of most lawyers.

Yes, I like my books and my work and sometimes even being in the office on an obvious golf day, but I also really like interacting with people. So when the media calls I try to be helpful with ideas, theories, concepts and even non-confidential examples of my work.

What I CAN'T do is break client confidences, disclose certain information regarding deals or dig dirt. It isn't ethical. So I tend not to respond to calls or questions about specific deals on which I am working. But I am always happy to talk about trends, legal issues, information that is public and analysis so long as it is not impacting a client. I had a good time the other week talking to a reporter about the subprime crisis.