Home » » Simon, GGP and predictions

Simon, GGP and predictions

A year ago, I said I would put a prediction in an envelope about Simon and GGP and see if I was right. Let's open it.

"Simon will end up owning part of GGP. But a team up with Westfield makes the most sense, especially if they do try to take in the whole company. This was done before so it is familiar territory for them."

My grade? Incomplete. Simon now is exploring ways to use its dry powder to buy some or all of GGP. My bet is still on some, with some interesting lender negotiations perhaps to occur. I noticed Westfield, which also has plenty of cash, was also mentioned in the WSJ story but apparently hasn't hired advisers. (By the way, that means bubkes, in my humble opinion.) So don't be shocked if we see another Rodamco-style deal.