Home » » A New Year - A Statement of Purpose

A New Year - A Statement of Purpose

I've been mulling over writing this article for a while. To quote the late (and improperly maligned) Adm. James Stockdale, "Why am I here?" And in tandem with that: what is my purpose for writing this blog?

I like to write. I always have. Whether I am any good at it is another story, but some people seem to think so. And yes, that is flattering. This blog is just one person's opinions about the world, primary that of real estate. I sometimes go off on tangents, and I try not to get too political. I might be full of it, but if you think I am, don't read. That's the beauty of the blogosphere.

You will not see much bad written about individual people here, with some exceptions for notable public figures. I try as much as I can to adhere to the principle that if you have nothing nice to write about someone, don't write anything. I rededicate that in writing today, and to those against whom I may have transgressed, I'm sorry. If you want to read snarky comments about people, then you've probably come to the wrong place.

This blog comments on news that has already been published. I do not, as a general rule, break news. For those prospective clients who worry about my writing about your deals: I don't, unless you ask or give me permission to do so. That's why confidentiality clauses are in many of my contracts.

I do talk to the media (for for public consumption and on background) about law, trends, real estate in general and blogging. I also comment on other blogs and forums. But I do not comment about my clients' deals unless asked to do so (or given permission) specifically by the client.

Sometimes you will see that I mention my previous work with friends, former clients, colleagues and opponents. I do so not to name drop, but because I believe in full disclosure. If you read this blog, I believe you have the right to know my biases, both actual and potential. So if I know, directly or indirectly, a person or entity in the news, I try to tell you how. I think you deserve that.

Finally, one last thing about me: I take my work very seriously, but I try not to take myself too seriously. The world -- and the legal profession -- would in my humble opinion be a better place if we all tried to do so.

Here's to a great 2009. Happy New Year!