Home » » Time for another war - on oil

Time for another war - on oil

I'm not going to get into a political screed here, or at least I'll try not to do so. I'm not even sure whether this is political as much as it is good business sense and patriotic, too. But I', becoming more and more convinced that we need to fight another war, one that impacts dirt as much as our daily lives: a war on foreign oil.

I'm disgusted to read that we spend upwards of a trillion dollars a year and give it to people like Hugo Chavez, supporters of bin Laden and other assorted bad actors in the world.

There's a green thing about it too, but that's secondary to me. And thanks to one of the smartest people I know, I've been thinking about green issues since, oh, 1991. If we stop giving money to the bozoids, we cut off their money and maybe help the world to boot.

What about nuclear power, oil shale, biofuels, processing waste into energy, solar, wind, geothermal, and so on. We need to go to war with tax incentives, technological incentives and the like. Make it happen. Stop the all talk, no action thing and dig into the work.

They say this will take decades. Horse manure. We put a man on the moon in nine years using computers far less powerful than the one I'm typing on. We lack willpower and the financial incentive to make it happen. So, let's get them. You wanna spend my tax dollars? Offer a humongous tax credit or a big paycheck to the companies that develop truly effective technology.

Nothing would make me happier than to see us win this fight and put the oil-rich nations on their backs. I think nothing might be better for our national security, too.

(P.S. We need to do the same thing with cancer and weight. Didn't Nixon talk about a war on cancer in the 70s?)