Home » » CRE, Liquidity, NATO and Social Media

CRE, Liquidity, NATO and Social Media

How do you get these three things into one blog post? Read on.

A somewhat encouraging article this morning on increased liquidity and demand for commercial real estate lending makes me happy.  As loans and properties reposition themselves one way or another, lenders have more ability to move money around as the balance improves. So more people -- alas, usually not the original owner in many cases -- make money.  The banks can lend again, the buyers of notes can reposition themselves as owners or restructured lenders...you get the picture. And we lawyers negotiate all that stuff, for better or worse.

So why NATO? Because it is going away.  I am not, however, talking about the military.  I am talking about the NATO my father always referred to when I was a kid.  For him, NATO stood for "No Action, Talk Only."  And face it: that's all many of us in the business have been able to do for the last few years, too.  But now we seem to be moving into a mode where we can do more than do, and action is a good thing for us all, as it is the only way to make money.

Speaking of money, the NATO trend has slipped into the legal profession, too.  But the worst offenders of NATO, in my not so humble opinion are the so-called "social media gurus" who hound us on blogs, Twitter, etc. telling us they know the secrets to getting rich using social media.  There's only one whom I think is worth his salt.  If you are reading this wondering, "Is he talking about me?" I'm not. He knows who he is and probably isn't reading this post anyway.

So if you will excuse me, I have to go make some money now.  Have a great day!